Monday, February 11, 2019

Wine and Cheese Pairing #1

Monday, February 11, 2019

WINE AND CHEESE PAIRING ROUND ONE 

First, I am about as picky with cheeses as I am with wines so bare with me because this tasting might criticize the cheeses as well. Also sometimes I like setting up the tastings more than the wines I am tasting. Most are not SWEET ENOUGH! But with time my palate will become more adapted to dry wines.

Second, the wines we chose were Moiselle Sweet Rose from California, so it is sweet. It is a blend og juicy cheery and watermelon. The bottle did not specify percentages. We also chose an Oak Leaf Vineyards Shiraz from California, mostly because it is cheap and I have never tried Shiraz beore.It is 100% Shiraz. Finally, the last wine we chose was Winking Owl Merlot from California. It is 100% Merlot.

                               


The cheeses we chose were types that we had all had before. Gotta stay within the comfort zone for this first wine tasting ya know. We picked out Happy Farms Colby Jack, Happy Farms Monterey Jack, and Mild Cheddar. I am concerned a little bit that the cheeses are too similar.


Starting with the Moiselle Sweet Rose from Modesto, California. It is extremely light and floral. I could see myself really enjoying this wine during the summer. It also reminds me of a white zinfandel. Pairing the Sweet Rose with the Monterey Jack cheese my first impression was no impression honestly. I do not think the flavors in the cheese clash with the wine but there is not a distinct taste. I think the acidity (what there is of it since it is a light pink wine) compliment the cheese. I do not think the wine overpowers the cheese and the cheese does not overpower the wine.
Next I tried the Sweet Rose with the Mild Cheddar cheese. I think it paired well and brought out the flavors in the cheese. I think the wine does not overpower the cheese, if anything the cheese overpowers the wine slightly. I think the cheese made the wine taste more fruity.
The Sweet Rose did not have much affect with the Colby Jack cheese. Neither one overpowered the other one. I think the acidity in the wine does compliment the cheese. I think the cheese made the wine heavier. I enjoyed the Mild Cheddar the best.

Next I tried the Winking Owl Merlot from Modesto, California. It is a very dry red in my opinion. It is smoky with hints of blackberry. I think it will pair best with the Mild Cheddar. First I paired it with the Monterey Jack. I think I do not like this cheese very much because with every wine it tastes slimy. I think the cheese does nothing for the wine. I taste the wine more than the cheese but that is fine with me. Next I paired it with the Mild Cheddar which I thought was great. I think it pairs well and the wine brings out the flavors in the cheese. It brings out the tartness in the cheese. I do not think either of them overpower the other. Lastly, I paired it with the Colby Jack which is very neutral. I think they pair fine but the wine does not bring out any flavors of the cheese. I think the wine makes the cheese seem more fatty. I think the Mild Cheddar makes the wine taste so much better.

Lastly, I tried the Oak Leaf Merlot from California. It is extremely bitter, I am not sure any cheese will help this wine out. All I taste is alcohol and tannins. No sugar whatsoever, I do not think this wine is balanced. When I paired it with the Monterey Jack I think it still tastes slimy. It does not pair well with the cheese. The wine overpowers the cheese but not enough. The cheese makes the wine even more bitter. Next I tried it with the Mild Cheddar which I think paired well. The wine brings out the flavors in the wine and the acidity of the wine compliments the cheese. I do not think either overpower each other. Lastly, I think the wine paired well with the Colby Jack cheese also. I think the wine brings out the flavors in the cheese. Neither one overpowers the others. I think the cheese makes the wine less bitter. I liked the Mild Cheddar and Colby Jack the most with this wine.


Also these napkins were too cute not to share!


No comments:

Post a Comment