Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Tasting - Dinner 2 Broke Edition

Dinner - West End and Turner food (cause were broke college kids) 


We chose west end and turner food because it is that point in the semester where we are all broke but still have campus money. I am looking forward to good campus food and an array of wines. 
 

Course One: Chicken Tenders paired with Yellow Tail Rose
Wine on it's own: Smells sweet and floral. This wine is not very sweet but it is not bitter either, it has a very good balance. I taste hints of peach but no other fruits. It is a dry wine. I am not sure that I would buy it again. 
Pairing notes: The wine paired well with the chicken. The faint acidity of the wine complimented the food making the chicken taste better. The wine made the breading of the chicken a perfect amount of saltiness. I do not think the wine overpowered the food nor did the food overpower the wine. The food made the wine more acidic but lighter. The wine was not too sweet for the food. 

 

Course Two: Chicken Bowl from Qdoba + chips paired with Beringer Main & Vine Red Crush-Red Blend 
Wine on it's own: This wine smells like cherries but strong. I expected this wine to be a big, bold wine. It is sweeter than I thought and I found it to be smooth. However, it is kind of bland which a balance of sweetness. The one thing I like is that it does not taste like alcohol. 
Pairing notes: I think the wine pairs well. I think the acidity of the wine compliments the spiciness of the food making it taste better. I think the wine dulled the spiciness down and made it more salty. I do not think the food overpowered the wine or the wine overpowered the food. I think the food does make the wine less sweet though. 

 

Course Three: Salted Caramel Cheesecake paired with Barefoot 100% Riesling 
Wine on it's own: This wine instantly refreshes you. It tastes like a crisp, summery drink but then the sweetness hits you. It is not overly sweet but not bitter. I taste strong hints of tangerine. I personally love this wine and would buy this again and again.   
Paring notes: This wine and food did not pair well. The acidity of the wine was enhanced by the cheesecake. The wine had no effect on the food but the food made the wine taste extremely bitter. The food overpowered the wine and the wine did nothing for the food. The cheesecake makes the wine bitter and taste like a dry rose. 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment