Saturday, January 26, 2019

Tasting - Christmas Mead


Name: Lyme Bay Winery, Christmas Mead
Variety: A rich honey Mead blended with festive spirits
Region: Shute, Axminster, Devon
Country: England
Year: 2014
Price: nine pounds

Winery review: Christmas Mead is a very special festive, rich honey wine. Blended with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, lemon and orange zest, it's a perfect accompaniment to sweet Christmas treats or strongly flavoured cheeses.

Wine critic: (award winning wine) "Fresh, alive and not cloying. Lovely gentle honey flavours and the right level of spice. Rich, pleasant mouthfeel and a light yet luxurious texture."
- Taken from the website lymebaywinery.co.uk (1/26/2019)

My review: Very different than the wines I usually drink as this one was a gift from England. I had a hard time with the first glass because the smell and the spices were overpowering. By the second glass I got used to the taste. I think the spices are stronger than the winery and critic mentioned above but overall very smooth. I will finish the bottle but I cannot say that I would buy it again if I got the opportunity.

I did not have food with this wine and I did heat it up on the stove top which in my opinion made it taste better than it would have chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment