Saturday, February 23, 2019

Winery Visit 1 - Beliveau Estates Winery

Beliveau Estates Winery grows their own grapes onsite as well as lavender, AND they have a bed & breakfast, super cute! 

On Saturday, February 23rd, my two friends and I visited the Beliveau Estates Winery, one of my favorite wineries in the area. It took about 30 minutes to drive from Blacksburg to still Blacksburg but it felt like a whole new world. Just 12 miles away from downtown Blacksburg it becomes secluded and peaceful. Since it was a Saturday it was packed, despite the weather. They actually had a maple festival going on so we not only got to do a wine tasting but taste maple syrup!

The workers were immediately helpful and very knowledgeable. Unfortunately the weather was extremely crappy. We were not able to tour the winery nor was it offered to us once we said we were in geography of wine. It was extremely muddy, packed, and freezing outside. They are also doing construction because they are adding a brewery which is exciting but hard for showing people the winery.

We did however, venture out on our own - rain or no rain. We walked around through the grape vines and I realized that the estate is way bigger than I originally thought. This winery also grows their own lavender and has products made from that lavender that can be purchased inside. They have many events like the one we happened to stumble upon such as St. Patrick's Sundaes, Murder Mystery events and the one I am most excited for...Graduation Buffet! The winery also offers weddings and they have an onsite Bed & Breakfast so you are literally 10 feet from wine.


We did a wine tasting ranging from dry white wines to sweet white wines to a rose then to dry red wines and finished with a sweet red wine. We ordered pretzels with beer cheese, spinach artichoke dip, and buffalo chicken dip but it came out after the tasting so it was not paired with any of our wines. They served the red wines at room temperature and pulled the white wines and rose wine out of a wine chiller. The wines we tried were:

  • Destiny 2016 
    • Their description: Lemon, apricot, and peach, dry white wine and unoaked 
    • My description: Very floral, dry, tarte and light. I could drink it if I paired it with cheese. 
  • Captivate 2015
    • Their description: Lemon with hints of butterscotch, dry white wine and unoaked
    •  My description: Smells very musky which is not appealing. Tastes better than it smells, very floral and light. 
  • Reflection 2016 
    • Their description: Fruity and floral 
    •  My description: Smells very dry and like roses. Nice summer wine but not sweet enough for me 
  • Discovery 2015 
    • Their description: Sweet, juicy, and crisp 
    • My description: This was a non-vinferia grape. It smelled like grape juice and tasted the same way. My favorite! 
  • Summer Rose 2016 
    • Their description: Bright cherries and subtle lime, dry rose 
    • My description: Pretty color. Very dry and tarte and I was expecting something sweeter. I wouldn't buy this. 
  • A Capella 
    • Their description: Bright red berry flavors 
    • Extreme peppery smell however did not taste like pepper. It was spicy. 
  • Soul Singer 2015 
    • Their description: Hints of cherry, dry red wine and oaked 
    • Very dark wine. Reminds me of a bonfire for some reason. Tastes like plums, smooth and does not leave a bitter after taste. 
  • Warm Glow 2016
    • Their description: Cherry and dark chocolate 
    • My description: I love this so much better than the dry red wines. Would be amazing with dark chocolate. Tasting hints of plum and cherry.

















I enjoyed the tasting and the amazing food. I am looking forward to bringing my family here for graduation. I was disappointed about not getting to tour the winery but excited for the next place to offer tours. Also this winery gives you free glasses when you do a tasting aka I now have 7 Beliveau Winery glasses on my bar cart. 



No comments:

Post a Comment